Why do I have to apply for graduation if do not plan to attend the ceremony?

It is important that you apply for graduation by completing the Graduation Application Form, for the Registrar’s Office to complete the process of evaluating your case and determining whether you have completed all degree requirements to certify it on the system and on your file. This is the only way you can obtain a degree certification and diploma.


I have already paid the graduation fee… Why should I also pay for the gown?

Payment of the graduation fee, done at the Bursar’s Office, covers the graduation evaluation, degree certification on your transcript, and diploma as soon as you complete all your program’s requirements. The gown is the official dress of the graduation ceremony, for which you need to purchase the gown if you plan to attend.


I studied at another university. How do I request accreditation? What is required?

If you were admitted by transfer from a higher education institution or from a non-university level post-secondary institution, you can apply for accreditation. You must fill out the application in the Admissions Office at the time of admission. For the application to be evaluated, the file must include the credit transcript from the institution of origin. Completing the Accreditation Application does not guarantee that the courses will be accredited.

For more details on accreditation requirements, you can access the General Catalog.

Students from foreign institutions must submit official report of evaluation and accreditation of credentials according to World Education Services. For more information, visit the following website: www.wes.org.


Can I obtain my degree and attend the graduation if I have outstanding debt?

Even if you have passed all the required credits to complete your degree, you can only attend the graduation ceremony and obtain graduation certifications and credit transcripts with the earned degree if:

  • you have paid the graduation fee
  • you have turned in the graduation application at the Registrar’s Office, and
  • you have no outstanding debt toward the institution.


Why should I have the Academic Calendar? What is it useful for? Where do I get it?

The Academic Calendar is the official document with the beginning and end dates of each term of the academic year. It states deadlines for official business such as regular enrollment, late enrollment, enrollment changes, changes in major, and total and partial withdrawals, among others.

You can obtain a copy at the Registrar’s Office or see it on our webpage: online.nuc.edu.


What are the consequences of a withdrawal?

Besides affecting the progress of your academic career, withdrawing from some of your courses impacts your account balance. To guide you on how your account balance is affected by a withdrawal, you should contact a specialist in the Bursar’s Office or visit our website and access the Bursar’s Office FAQ.


Why was I withdrawn from my courses?

All students are expected to attend the courses in which they are officially enrolled. The Registrar’s Office will monitor attendance and absences reported by professors.

As per a federal regulation, if a student is absent for 14 consecutive days to all your courses, he or she will be disenrolled and his or her enrollment status will change from “Active” to “Withdrawal.” If the student was absent for 14 consecutive days in some courses, he or she will be disenrolled only from those courses, and his or her enrollment status will continue being “Active.”


How do I reinstate my courses?

If you intend to resume attendance to the courses from which you have been disenrolled, and your professors allow it, you should fill out at the Registrar’s Office the “Permission to Rejoin Courses,” which shall be turned in at this office duly completed and signed by the professors of the courses you will to be reinstated into.


How do I request a credit transcript or a certification of studies?

Credit transcripts and certifications of studies are requested at the Registrar’s Office. Both requests require a fee at the Bursar’s Office.

Credit transcripts for your own private use (Student Copy) may be delivered to you personally. Transcripts requested on behalf of universities, employers, or other agencies are official (Official Copy) and must be mailed directly to an address you shall provide.


Which are the courses I should enroll in?

You should only enroll in the required courses in your curriculum. We recommend that you request the Registrar’s Office a curriculum of your major so that you can mark out the courses that you have already passed and those you still need to take.


Can I take courses from another major?

You may enroll in courses from another program provided they are the number of required elective courses in your curriculum. If you enroll in courses that are not in your major, in addition to those you have already passed as required electives, the scholarship will not cover them, that is, you will have to pay them yourself as a private student.