Master’s Degree in Science in Nursing with Specialty in Medical-Surgical and Role in Management and Executive Leadership
Following the curricular sequence
Graduates from the Master’s Degree in Science in Nursing with specialty in Medical-Surgical and Role in Management and Executive Leadership will perform administrative and nursing personnel management functions. They will develop their profile as ethical leaders who are assertive communicators and collaborative workers. Furthermore, they will exhibit the skills and knowledge of their profession during case analyses, decision-making, and problem-solving. In their practices and clinical experiences, they will safeguard the legal rights and regulations, as well as the ethical values and respect for diversity in recognition of the needs of different groups, populations, and scenarios within health services.
- Advance Surgical
- Advanced Medical-Surgical I
- Advanced Medical-Surgical II
- Advanced Medical-Surgical Internship I with Role in Management
- Advanced Medical-Surgical Internship II with Role in Management
- Human Resources Development in Nursing Management
- Financial Management in Nursing Services
Possible Employment Opportunities
- Director of nursing services in Hospitals, CDT and other health facilities.
- Supervisor of nursing services in Hospitals, CDT and other health facilities.
- Home Care Director (directing services and supervising staff assigned to Home Care and Hospice).
- Jobs where able to direct, collaborate and advise the nursing team in the planning, execution and evaluation of direct nursing care provided to individuals, family and community.
- Function independently in the practice of nursing and offer services by contract with agencies or individuals in any health care setting or practice area.
- Offer consulting, supervision and high-level services in administration, education and nursing services.
- University professor: teach courses in their specialty in academic programs.
- Continuing education centers: design and offer continuing education courses.
Related License Or Certification
Upon graduation, students are required to obtain a nurse specialist license according to the Puerto Rico Board of Nurse Examiners requirements.
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Implement administrative and executive leadership strategies in analysis and problem solving for nursing services in the different healthcare scenarios.
- Communicate assertively and coherently ideas for improving the work environment of the nursing personnel for effective performance in their role as administrator and executive leader in health services.
- Resolve critically and creatively the different issues that affect the health of individuals, groups, families, and the community, whether individually or in collaboration with a multidisciplinary team of professionals for decision-making in the administration of the nursing services and executive leadership.
- Determine different quantitative and qualitative methodologies that adjust to the decision making process and that serve as support for the administrator of nursing services and the executive leader in different scenarios.
- 5. Analyze information using the available technology for the development, implementation, and effective control of creative strategies for problem-solving in the administration and executive leadership of healthcare systems.
- Assume the moral and ethical responsibility in the issues that affect the health of individuals, groups, families, and the community, as well as in the offering of nursing services, whether individually or in collaboration with a multidisciplinary team of
professionals for decision-making in administration and executive leadership.
- Defend the compliance with the rules, policies, laws, and regulations that foment the patient’s rights, respect for diversity, honesty, and the good judgment applied in administration and executive leadership in healthcare systems.